Loggers, landscapers, lumberjacks and other professions that need the world’s best professional chainsaw rely on this tool for a living.
Chainsaws are tools responsible for heavy duty tasks like cutting through tough tree trunks, and that causes damage and wear to the engine over time.
Professional chainsaws feature stronger engines, faster speeds, and safety features that normal chainsaws might not possess to get the work completed. Each top saw in this review is handpicked for your use, and we review their engine, control, and ease of use.
Read on to find out some of the best offers in these chainsaw reviews.
Top 6 Advanced Chainsaw Comparison & Reviews
1 – Husqvarna 20 Inch 445 Rancher Gas-Powered Chainsaw
First on our list is a Husqvarna model. You don’t need to be a professional to power and get this best pro chainsaw to work. For every day landowners and homeowners in need of a heavy duty power saw, this top saw is for you.
The 20-inch or 18-inch bar length gas powered chainsaw features a two-cycle engine. Much like the upstairs neighbor, the Husqvarna chainsaws keep you safe with the inertia activated chain brake.
It’s essentially similar to the Husqvarna 24 inch model, just smaller. The automatic chain oiler is designed to provide a means to feed a steady stream of chain without catching and pulling.
Cleaning the air filter in this Husqvarna Rancher can be done with ease with the quick-release design and X-Torq engine means less fuel consumption and reduced emissions to help the environment and to even save you a few bucks in the process. What’s not to love?
When you need adjustments, the chain tensioning system allows you to make safe cuts on wood. There’s also an anti-vibration system which means less vibration when carrying the weight.
It’s also the lightest professional chainsaw we have found compared to other models.
As for warranty, this gas-powered saw has a 2 year warranty for a homeowner and 90 days warranty for commercial use. Great for the price.
- Powerful 3.5 hp engine, not as quick as the 24-inch, but comparable.
- This top model is 12.5 pounds in weight, it’s one the lightest professional chainsaws.
- Choice between 18 inch bar length or the 20 inch longer bar length
- Comes with a bar cover.
- Easy start with the on/off switch.
- The tension safety parts in this professional chainsaw cut with less accidents.
- Low vibration and low kick back
- The air filtration cleaning is made easy with quick release design
- Less fuel consumption
- Powerful engine designed for large tasks
- Many different users claim premature failure
2 – Makita XCU03PT1 18V X2 (36V) LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 14″ Chain Saw Kit
As an Amazon’s Choice product, the Makita name is high up there rating wise. You have your work cut out for you with a low-powered chainsaw with a dull chain. The value of a good chainsaw is immeasurable when you find yourself stuck on the job.
As far as professional chainsaws are going, Makita does provide the quality you need to get the work done. The brushless motor direct drive system is as powerful as a 32cc engine chainsaw for good cuts.
When in use, this powerful system provides a way to save on fuel. The saw fuel tank features a large opening too.
The variable speeds could be one of the most useful features in this tool. When one speed doesn’t work, just rev up the engine for a faster speed to cut through.
For safety in every cut, it’s using a built-in lock off lever. It prevents the chain from accidentally firing up. Grease the chain with ease through the oil filling port that also allows you to monitor the bar oil level to ensure it provides peak performance.
It’s also safe to handle with a compact 14-inch bar length. The LED on/off switch is easy to see. To save battery and for safety reasons, the professional chainsaw automatically shuts off when it’s not used for extended periods.
Now that’s a great feature you need.
- Automatic shut-off switch turns off the chainsaw when operation is delayed.
- 36V power for great performance
- 14-inch bar length, it’s not that long but it’s designed for smaller jobs
- A large oil filling port allows you to keep track of the bar oil level.
- Variable speeds means you may tailor the professional chainsaw for use
- Features like a brushless motor direct drive system get the job done right and save on fuel
- Battery-powered engine
- Does come with power equivalent to a powerful 32cc chainsaw.
- Use the “tool-less” chain adjustment designed for easy operation.
- The bar and chain do not last.
3 – Dewalt DCCS620P1 20V Max Lithium-Ion XR Brushless Compact 12 Inch Cordless Professional Chainsaw Kit
For this top model, there is an option for using a 20V battery and one without. The best professional chainsaws aren’t the Echo 59.8cc chainsaw, Stihl or any other name if they don’t perform up to standard.
This brushless motored chainsaw is great for construction and outdoor use, basically any heavy duty job you have on your plate. It features a low kick back bar and chain that helps keep you safe and makes operation easier.
The brushless motor features other benefits. It features a high level of efficiency which increases runtime.
A popular feature when looking for the best professional chainsaws is it should comw with a tool-free tension knob designed for easy adjustments and more control.
We spoke too soon as this small little saw may be the most lightweight professional chainsaw at 8.8 pounds of weight only! It’s a bit compact at a mere 12 inches bar length.
- Powerful engine comes with a 20V power option or no battery.
- A high efficiency brushless motor increases run time and engine life of this professional saw
- The low kickback bar and chain on this professional chainsaw allows easy control
- Easy start technology
- Use the tool-free tension knob to adjust the chain and clamp
- Light and compact chain saw, the weight is easy to handle.
- Compact bar length
- This professional chain saw might be inefficient due to the size and the power output.
4 – Poulan Pro PR4016, 16 in. 40cc 2-Cycle Gas Professional Chainsaw
A 20-inch bar length is ideal to handle commercial or more professional wood cutting jobs. The 16-inch model is great for household and cutting jobs that need to be done well.
The Poulan Pro PR4016 features a powerful engine that’s 40-cc two-stroke. Not as powerful as the Echo 59.8cc chainsaw, but still great.
Poulan chainsaws are equipped with OxyPower technology, which takes 20% less oil than the average model and produces a whopping 70% less emissions! Do your part for the environment but still get the job done with the power of Poulan Pro.
This also provides an automatic oiler that keeps the bar and chain properly lubricated. A well-lubricated bar and chain reduces the amount of maintenance and wear.
The air filter system in this chainsaw is superior which means it prolongs air filter life and reduces fuel consumption. This comes at no sacrifice to engine power.
Start the professional chainsaw with a pull and enjoy the anti-vibration system for less vibration. It will nicely handle the job done.
- Powerful 40cc two-stroke engine.
- This professional gas powered chainsaw comes with a patented Oxypower Technology to reduce emissions and save on fuel
- Use the automatic oiler to keep the chain lubricated.
- The oiler contributes to easy maintenance and reduces wear on the engine
- Superclean air filter system allows for a longer air filter life on this professional saw
- Anti-vibration system provides less vibration and user fatigue over time
- Easy starting system
- This chain saw broke very early on for some
5 – Remington RM1425 Limb N Trim 8 Amp 14-Inch Lightweight Corded Electric Chainsaw
Many people strive to find a top lightweight chainsaw for easy handling. It can get tiresome cutting through wood or material with tough resistance and adding on the heavy weight of the chainsaw to boot.
The Remington RM1425 is a 14-inch super lightweight tool coming in at just over 6 pounds! It’s easy to use, handle, and it doesn’t get any more compact than that!
Don’t let its small size fool you, this professional chainsaw features a powerful trim with an 8 amp electric motor that can trim through branches easily. You may need something more powerful for trees.
Manually lubricating a blade can be quite messy and need more effort. Why not eliminate that with a chainsaw that features an automatic oiler in the design? All you need to make it work is to push a small button and the oil is going to be dispensed!
The quick tensioner in this professional chain saw makes it easy to adjust the low kickback. Some of the greatest electric chainsaws have more features for safety. There is a wraparound hand guard to keep your mits away from debris.
- This small and compact size professional model has a weight of just over 6 pounds, it’s easy to handle
- The 14-inch bar lengths can cut through branches and firewood with an 8 amp motor.
- Use the one-button oiler for easy lubrication
- The low kickback along with the wrap-around handguard keeps you safe.
- The quick tensioner makes adjustments easy
- Some consumers expected a more powerful model
6 – Worx WG322 20V Cordless Professional Chainsaw with Auto-Tension
Cordless and electric seem to be the way to go because they provide convenience and efficiency with chainsaws. The Worx power chainsaw is all of that and more.
The cordless 20V power professional chainsaw cuts through branches with swift motions and complete ease. It also features a tool-free chain tension system that ensures you have the proper settings to handle the cutting job.
Just like the larger gas and oil powered models, there is auto lubrication for convenience. It’s also a comparable option to the Remington coming in at 6.2 pounds. It offers less strain to extend working time. This model comes with a 16″ bar length.
The batteries provide enough power for power washers and lawnmowers, guaranteeing to be tough enough for this little saw.
- Small, light, and cordless, it’s easy to handle the weight of this saw
- This model comes with a 20 V battery that lets you get a lot done
- Comes with tool-free chain tension system.
- 16-inch bar length
- Powerful performance
- Helps save fuel
- We can’t forget about auto lubrication!
- Might be difficult to assemble and not last long.
Our Top Pick: Husqvarna 460 24 Inch Rancher Gas Chainsaw
The powerful two-cycle engine with a 24-inch bar length in the Husqvarna 460 Rancher professional chainsaw is designed to provide a whole lot of power to cut through the tough stuff.
There’s an inertia added chain brake with low vibration features that make this saw safe and comfortable. It’s easy to start and get working as well.
The mounted chain tensioner also gives more freedom to adjust the chain while at work. Plus, the X-Torq engine reduces fuel consumption. It’s also easy to clean the air filter.
When doing heavy-duty cutting jobs in the outdoors, you may wear yourself out. Cutting large trees is not an easy job. However, with the Husqvarna 460 Rancher only weighs 12.79 pounds!
That’s pretty good for a chainsaw with all the cutting power this one holds!
If you’re looking for the best saw that has the power and performance, the Husqvarna 460 Rancher professional chainsaw is the best chainsaw model in the market.
What to Look for in the Best Professional Chainsaw
With different sizes, engine options, power options, performance, and features, who’s to say what the best value model in the market is? The best person to determine the answer is you! Aside from chainsaw reviews, consider what you want in models.
We’ve provided the important features we feel a standard chainsaw should come with. Read through it and decide what’s for you to help you when looking. A pro chainsaw should work well in all weather conditions and pack a lot of power for heavy use.
But what else should it do?
There are a few main types of commercial or professional saws and we’re going to take a look at the benefits to help you determine which one is the best buy.
- Battery – Battery powered chainsaws are better for the environment without the extra fuel consumption costs. Not to mention, there are no cords! The compact options we see are usually battery powered and are responsible for handling smaller tasks.Just like with other power tools, the higher the voltage, the more engine power you have to work with. If a battery-powered chainsaw sounds like the right choice, then look for lithium-ion batteries. They charge faster and offer a longer operation.
- Oil/Gas – These are the ones with the most engine power. The heavyweights of the chainsaws, they’re the ones you turn to for true heavy-duty jobs like tree trunks etc. Gas powered chainsaws are also the ones that have been around for years.Although refilling the engine could add up as a cost over the years, it’s useful to keep in mind that these options also emit more carbon emissions and might not be as good an engine alternative for the environment.
- Electric – These chainsaws are smaller than oil/gas options but can handle tougher jobs than their counterparts that use battery for power. The higher the amp listed in the description, the more power you have.You want high power for bigger jobs like cutting large trees. Similar to the battery options, they do not produce emissions but on the downside, they need to be plugged in to work. So, it all depends on what you want.
The size of the professional chainsaw depends on your needs on the job. Make sure that it’s small enough to easily maneuver in your workshop and know how much weight you yourself can handle when working.
If you’re looking to trim thin branches instead of large trees, then a battery powered chainsaw is more than enough to handle the work. But heavy-duty lumberwork call for the mighty oil / gas powered ones for more control.
The weight of professional saws ties into the size as well. In general, a larger chainsaw would weigh much more than you can handle properly. If weight is an issue, look into the smaller battery powered or electrical engine options.
They are usually the smaller of the three types of chainsaws. You may even find options that weigh under pounds as we have proven in our list.
Many people think the bar length only matters with the size of the wood you are cutting. While that is true about the bar to some extent, the bar length actually affects how fast and how well your saw cuts through the wood.
There are tiny bar options measuring at 12 inches length all the way up to 28! Yes, engine power matters and a gas powered chainsaw with an 18 inch blade could probably be as efficient as one of the other two with a 24 inches bar.
But when the engines are the same, a longer bar length is going to give you an easier time penetrating the wood for easy cuts. However, for smaller jobs a smaller bar is more efficient and lighter weight so you can handle them easily.
Choose an engine power that matches the job too.
One important thing to keep in mind when choosing the right bar length is to allow two inches of leeway. The bar length of the saw should be at least two inches longer than whatever piece of wood you plan to cut.
Transporting the chainsaw in a case or a bar cover is also advised.
Felling trees is a dangerous endeavor and safety is imperative. Well, safety is important for any sort of activity really even if you’re home and it doesn’t involve a tree.
Look for a model that comes with a chain brake, this allows you to stop the chain mid-action whenever you need to. It sort of functions as an emergency stop for the saw.
Wrap around handguards are also safe for your hand and protects your flesh from debris and having an anti-vibration system and anti-kick back feature will make sure to keep you out of harm’s way of any serious accidents.
Plus anti-vibration systems provide an easier way to handle tools for a better performance.
One option we have on our list even features a lock-out feature that’s going to prevent the saw to start by accident. We always want technology to cut safely and avoid accidents even at home, so buy a model with safety features.
How to Start
How do you start the chainsaw? A lot of you may be familiar (thanks,horror movies) with the pull start, or you can find ones with an easy on/off switch to start. It’s best to choose a saw with an easy start technology.
The chain needs to be tough, very very tough. You definitely do not want it to snap halfway during a job especially if you’re doing a lot of heavy work. It does need to be powerful enough to cut whatever your needs are.
A bar chain that isn’t well made can also dull easily, raking in more costs for you on the maintenance front. Chromium steel chains are very durable and may be sharpened with chain sharpening kits.
Making sure you set the chain tensioner properly will also play a part in the safety and longevity of the chain.
Why buy a chainsaw if the technology is difficult to use? That will put off any logger or homeowner, professional or beginner who’s just starting. Having a saw that’s easy to use is a good move. You want smooth operation when cutting trees.
Things to look out for include:
- A lightweight chainsaw. You don’t want a saw that causes fatigue just from the weight.
- A well balanced chainsaw. You want a safe and professional cut at all times.
- The handle placement and shape should fit your hands.
Durability and Maintenance
For best professional chainsaws, money goes a long way in terms of value. To have a durable and robust power tool in your home, you need to invest the money.
Made with durable and heavy-duty chromium steel chains and equipped with a ton of safety features will most likely equal a higher price point.
Consider the price it takes to maintain your chainsaw. Since they are made to tackle great tasks, the best chainsaws on the market should outlast the rest in value. Without maintenance, the effort exuded will wear out the chains.
A lot of durable models come with automatic lubrication which will no doubt lengthen the lifespan of the chain, and with it the chainsaw itself.
Some professional chainsaw models can be disassembled and reassembled easily when parts need to be switched out and replaced.
Those are the basics that usually come with saws and tools, but some professional chainsaws out there will feature a variety of other capabilities, some of which include:
- Automatic lubrication (as mentioned above).
- Oil view window. One of the models above had a feature to help you monitor oil levels.
- Chain brakes. This is a vital safety feature not all models have.
- Noise dampeners/mufflers. A chainsaw can be very loud when using it, and these handy components can lower the sound.
- Comes with anti vibration and anti-kick back features. These are also important safety qualities in models used by professionals. Anti-vibration is handy for long hours of work.
- Easy-to-clean air filter
- A bar cover or carrying case. These can be purchased separately but it’s a steal if the chainsaw comes with it.
Warranty or Guarantee
A warranty is something that comes first. As when you start to choose different electronic products/machinery, we stress the value of a product warranty or guarantee. A warranty is solely to put protection on your rights through the years.
As you may have seen if you have done your research, there are a lot of faulty and damaged products that are eligible for a return. Without the protection of a warranty, you just have to count your losses and suck it up.
Make sure you fully understand what the manufacturer covers in the warranty. Many only have a limited warranty. A warranty like that only offers some form of protection over the years, but it’s better than no warranty at all.
Some companies even offer an X number of days guarantee in case you use the product and it doesn’t meet expectations.
What is the Best Brand of Chainsaw?
If we are talking about brands in the market, then we have quite a comprehensive buying list. Here we have the top 5 most trusted chainsaw manufacturers, whether buying on Amazon or a physical store.
When buying Stihl chainsaws, it’s good to do it through their website. They have almost a century’s worth of experience in chainsaw manufacturing under their belt.
It’s difficult if not impossible to come across a “best chainsaw list” without seeing this brand pop up. Sometimes even more than once!
While this brand doesn’t specialize in chainsaws, they have made their mark producing a ton of other quality electronics and household appliances.
This brand makes table saws, they make chainsaws, their products are guaranteed quality and used by professionals.
Remington is another well-respected brand and quite well-known power tool company.
Known as one of the best producers of industrial and light-duty chainsaws, Poulan Pro is also a veteran in the business.
We hope we helped you get a clearer picture of the right chainsaw for you. Buying gas chainsaws in this day and age is not a complicated and long process as you would think. Determine the right size depending on the task it’s set to do, like cutting trees.
Be prepared to do regular maintenance to keep it working, make sure you can handle the weight of the chainsaw for an extended period of time. Perhaps the one quality that far exceeds the rest would be safety.
Wear the proper safety equipment and take necessary safety precautions every single time. Although price is important too, value and performance should be what you prioritize.
Looking for other helpful tips and buying guides? We’ve got a collection of articles for you, including this page about setting up a small woodworking workshop so you can have a place to do your projects.