Being in the great outdoors is a joy and a privilege. Loggers, landscapers, lumberjacks and other such professions that need the world’s best professional chainsaw rely on this tool for a living. Chainsaws are responsible for heavy duty jobs like cutting through tough tree trunks, and that causes damage and wear to the engine over time. Why we are specifically targeting professional chainsaws today is because they feature stronger engines, faster speeds, and safety features that run of the mill chainsaws might not possess to get the work completed. Each top model in this review is handpicked, and we review their engine, control, and ease of use to help you before you buy. Read on to find out some of the best choices.
Top 6 Advanced Chainsaw Comparison & Reviews
1 – Husqvarna 20 Inch 445 Rancher Gas Chainsaw
First on our list is a Husqvarna model. You don’t need to be a professional to power this best professional chainsaw. For everyday landowners and homeowners in need of a heavy duty power saw, this top model is for you.
The 20-inch or 18-inch bar length gas powered chainsaw features a two-cycle engine much like its big brother. Much like the upstairs neighbor, the Husqvarna chainsaws keep you safe with the inertia activated chain brake.
It’s essentially similar to the Husqvarna 24 inch model, just smaller. The automatic chain oiler is designed to provide a means to feed a steady stream of chain without catching and pulling.
Cleaning the air filter in this model is easy with the quick-release design and X-Torq engine means lower fuel consumption and reduced emissions to help the environment and to save you a few bucks in the process. What’s not to love?
When adjustments need to be made, the chain tensioning system makes it possible, allowing you to make safe cuts on wood. Not to mention, it’s also the lightest professional chainsaw model we have found.
- Power: 3.5 hp engine, not quite as fast as the 24-inch, but comparable.
- This top model weighs only 12.5 pounds, it’s one the lightest professional chainsaws.
- Choice between 20 inch or 18 inch bar length
- It comes with a chainsaw bar cover.
- Easy start with the on/off switch.
- The tension safety parts are what make this a professional chainsaw with less accidents.
- Low vibration and low kick back.
- The air filtration cleaning is made easy with quick release design
- X-Torq engine model means lowers fuel consumption
- This gas chainsaw is powerful enough for large jobs
- Many users claim premature failure and not a reliable model.
2 – Makita XCU03PT1 18V X2 (36V) LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 14″ Chain Saw Kit
As an Amazon’s Choice product, the Makita brand is high up there rating wise. You have your work cut out for you with a low-powered chainsaw model with a dull chain. The value of a good chainsaw is immeasurable when you find yourself stuck on the job.
As far as professional chainsaws for sale go, the Makita brand gets the work done. The brushless motor direct drive system is as powerful as a 32cc gas chainsaw for good cuts. When in use, this helps save on fuel.
The variable speeds could be one of the most useful features in this model. When one speed doesn’t work, all it takes is revving up the engine for a faster speed to blow through whatever stood in your way.
For safety, this model is using a built-in lock off lever. It prevents the chain from accidentally firing up. Grease the chain with ease through the oil filling port that also allows you to monitor the bar oil level to ensure peak performance. It’s also safe to handle with a compact 14-inch bar length.
The LED on/off switch is easy to see and access. To save battery and for safety reasons, the professional chainsaw automatically shuts off when its not used for an extended period. Now that’s a great feature.
- Automatic shut-off switch turns off the chainsaw when operation is delayed.
- This top model features an LED on/off switch
- 36V power
- 14-inch bar length, it’s not that long but it’s great for smaller jobs
- A large oil filling port allows you to keep track of the bar oil level.
- Variable speeds means you can tailor the professional chainsaw for use
- Features like a brushless motor direct drive system get the job done right and save on fuel
- Battery-powered engine
- This model possesses the power equivalent of a powerful 32cc gas chainsaw.
- Use the “tool-less” chain adjustment for easy operation.
- The bar and chain in this model do not last.
3 – Dewalt DCCS620P1 20V Max Lithium-Ion XR Brushless Compact 12 Inch Cordless Professional Chainsaw Kit
For this top model, there is an option for using a 20V battery and one without. The best chainsaws aren’t the Echo 59.8cc chainsaw, Stihl or any other brand if they don’t perform up to standard.
This brushless motored chainsaw is great for construction and outdoor use, basically any heavy duty job you have on your plate. It features a low kick back bar and chain that helps keep you safe and makes operation easier.
The brushless motor has other benefits. It has a high level of efficiency which increases runtime.
A popular feature when looking for the best professional chainsaws is a tool-free tension knob for easy adjustments.
We spoke too soon as this small little saw may be the most lightweight professional chainsaw model at 8.8 pounds only! However, it’s a bit compact at a mere 12 inches bar length.
It’s a bestseller model and Dewalt creates optimum power tools so why not give it a try?
- This powerful professional chain saw comes with a 20V power option or no battery.
- A brushless motor increases run time, efficiency, and engine life.
- The low kickback bar and chain on this professional chainsaw allows easy control
- Easy engine start
- Use the tool-free tension knob to adjust the chain and clamp
- Light and compact chain saw, the weight is easy to handle.
- Compact bar length
- This professional chain saw model might be inefficient due to the size and the power output.
4 – Poulan Pro PR4016, 16 in. 40cc 2-Cycle Gas Professional Chainsaw
A 20-inch bar length is ideal for tougher and more professional cutting jobs. The 16-inch model is great for household and cutting jobs that need to get done well. The Poulan Pro PR4016 has a powerful 40-cc two-stroke engine.
Poulan chainsaws are equipped with OxyPower technology, which takes 20% less oil than the average model and produces a whopping 70% less emissions! Do your part for the environment but still finish the job with the power of Poulan Pro.
This model also comes with an automatic oiler that keeps the bar and chain properly lubricated which in turn reduces the amount of maintenance and wear so it’s working for longer.
The air filter system in this gas chainsaw model is superior in the sense that it prolongs filter life and reduces fuel consumption. All this comes at no sacrifice to engine power.
Start the professional chainsaw with an effortless pull and enjoy the anti-vibration system to get the job done nicely.
- This professional gas model comes with a powerful 40cc two-stroke engine.
- Patented Oxypower Technology reduces emissions and saves on fuel
- Use the automatic oiler to keep the chain lubricated.
- The oiler reduces maintenance and wear on the engine
- Superclean air filter system allows for a longer air filter life on this professional model
- Top of the line anti vibration system reduces user fatigue
- Easy starting
- This chain saw broke very early on for some
5 – Remington RM1425 Limb N Trim 8 Amp 14-Inch Lightweight Corded Electric Chainsaw
Many people strive to find a top lightweight chainsaw for easy handling and less fatigue. It can get tiresome cutting through material with tough resistance and adding on the weight of the chainsaw to boot. The Remington RM1425 is a 14-inch super lightweight model coming in at just over 6 pounds! It’s easy to handle and it doesn’t get any more compact than that!
Don’t let its small size fool you, this professional chainsaw features a powerful trim with an 8 amp electric motor that can trim through branches easily. You may need something more powerful for trees.
Manually lubricating a blade can be quite messy end require more effort. Why not eliminate that with a chainsaw that has an automatic oiler? All you need to do is to push a small button and the oil will be dispensed!
The quick tensioner in this professional chain saw makes adjusting the low kickback easy. Some of the greatest electric chainsaws have more features for safety. For this model, there is a wraparound hand guard to keep your mits away from debris.
- This small and compact size professional model has a weight of just over 6 pounds, it’s easy to handle
- The 14-inch bar length can cut through branches and firewood with an 8 amp motor.
- Use the one-button oiler for easy lubrication
- The low kickback along with the wrap-around handguard keeps you safe.
- The quick tensioner in this model makes adjustments easy
- Some consumers expected a more powerful model
6 – Worx WG322 20V Cordless Professional Chainsaw with Auto-Tension
Cordless and electric seem to be the way to go in terms of convenience and efficiency with chainsaws. The Worx power chainsaw is all of that and more.
The cordless 20V power professional chainsaw cuts through branches with swift motions and complete ease. It also features a tool-free chain tension system that ensures you have the proper settings for the cutting job. Just like the larger gas and oil powered models, there is auto lubrication for your convenience.
It’s also a comparable option to the Remington coming in at 6.2 pounds. It offers less strain and allows you to extend working time. This model comes with a 16″ bar length.
The batteries in this saw from Worx are powerful enough for power washers and lawnmowers, guaranteeing to be tough enough for this little saw.
- Small, light, and cordless, it’s easy to handle the weight of this saw
- This model comes with a 20 V battery that lets you get a lot done
- Comes with tool-free chain tension system.
- 16-inch bar length
- Powerful performance
- Helps save fuel
- We can’t forget about auto lubrication!
- Might be difficult to assemble and not last long.
Our Top Pick: Husqvarna 460 24 Inch Rancher Gas Chainsaw
The powerful two-cycle engine with a 24-inch bar length in the Husqvarna 460 professional chainsaw provides you with a whole lot of power to cut through the tough stuff. There is an inertia added chain brake with low vibration features that make this saw safe and comfortable. Starting is easy as well.
The mounted chain tensioner also gives more freedom to adjust the chain while is at work. Plus, the X-Torq engine reduces fuel consumption. It’s also easy to clean the air filter.
When doing heavy-duty cutting jobs in the outdoors, you can wear yourself out. Cutting trees is not an easy job. However, with the Husqvarna 460 only weighs 12.79 pounds! That’s pretty good for a chainsaw with all the power this one holds!
If you’re looking for the best saw, the Husqvarna 460 professional chainsaw is the best chainsaw model around.
What to Look for When Buying the Best Professional Chainsaw
With so many sizes, engine options, power options and features, who’s to say what the best model is? The best person to determine the answer to this question is you! Aside from reading chainsaw reviews, consider what you want too. Below we have provided all the important features we feel a standard chainsaw should possess. Read through it and decide what’s for you to help you when looking. A pro chainsaw should work well in all weather conditions and pack a whole lot of power for heavy use. But what else should it be able to do?
There are a few main types of chainsaws and we’ll take a look at the benefits to help you determine which one is the best buy.
- Battery – Battery powered chainsaws are better for the environment without the extra fuel consumption costs. Not to mention, there are no cords (if you get a cordless model)! The compact options we see are usually battery powered and are responsible for handling smaller tasks. Just like with other devices, the higher the voltage, the more power you have to work with. If a battery-powered chainsaw sounds like the right choice, then look for lithium-ion batteries. They charge faster and offer a longer operation per charge.
- Oil/Gas – These are the ones with the most power. The heavyweights of the chainsaws, they’re the ones you turn to for true heavy-duty jobs like tree trunks etc. Gas powered chainsaws are also the ones that have been around for years, although refilling the engine could add up as a cost over the years, It’s useful to keep in mind that these options also emit more carbon emissions and might not be as good an engine alternative for the environment.
- Electric – These chainsaws are smaller than oil/gas options but can handle tougher jobs than their battery powered counterparts. The higher the amp listed in the description, the more power you are going to get. You want high power for larger jobs like cutting trees. Similar to the battery options, they do not produce emissions but on the downside, they need to be plugged in to work. So, it all depends on what you want.
The size of the professional chainsaw depends on your needs on the job. Make sure that it’s small enough to easily maneuver in your workshop and know how much weight you yourself can handle. If you’re looking to trim thin branches instead of big trees, then a battery powered chainsaw is more than enough to handle the work. But heavy-duty lumberwork call for the mighty oil / gas powered ones for more control.
The weight of the saw model ties into the size as well. In general, a larger chainsaw would weigh much more than you can handle properly. If weight is an issue for you, look into the smaller battery powered or electrical options. They are usually the smaller of the three types of chainsaws. You can even find options that weigh under pounds as we have proven in our list.
Sure, some people think the bar length only matters with the size of the wood you are cutting. While that is true to some extent, the length actually affects how fast and how well your saw cuts through the wood.
There are tiny options measuring at 12 inches length all the way up to 28! Yes, engine power matters and a gas powered chainsaw with an 18 inch blade could probably be as efficient as one of the other two with a 24 inch bar. But when the engines are the same, a longer bar length will definitely give you an easier time penetrating the wood. However, for smaller jobs smaller bars are more efficient and lighter weight so you can handle them easily. Choose an engine that matches the job too.
One important thing to keep in mind when choosing the right bar length is to allow two inches of leeway. In other words, the bar length of the saw should be at least two inches longer than whatever piece of wood you plan to cut.
Transporting the chainsaw in a case or at least with a bar cover is also advised.
Felling trees is a dangerous endeavor and safety is imperative. Well, safety is important for any sort of activity really even one that doesn’t involve a tree. Look for a model that comes with a chain brake, this allows you to stop the chain mid-action whenever you need to. It sort of functions as an emergency stop for the saw.
Wrap around handguards are also safe for your hand and protects your flesh from debris and having a anti-vibration system and anti-kick back feature will make sure to keep you out of harm’s way of any serious accidents.
One option we have on our list even has a lock-out feature that will prevent the saw being turned on and activated by accident. We always want to cut safely and avoid accidents, so buy a model with safety features.
How to Start
How do you start the chainsaw? A lot of you may be familiar (thank you horror movies) with the pull start, or you can find ones with an easy on/off switch to start. It’s best to choose a saw with an easy start.
The chain needs to be tough, very very tough. You definitely do not want it to snap halfway during a job especially if you’re doing a lot of heavy work. It does need to be powerful enough to cut whatever your needs are. A bar chain that isn’t well made can also dull easily, raking in more costs for you on the maintenance front. Chromium steel chains are very durable and can be sharpened with chain sharpening kits. Making sure you set the chain tensioner properly will also play a part in the safety and longevity of the chain.
Why get a chainsaw if it’s difficult to use? That will put off any logger or homeowner, professional or beginner. Buying a saw that’s easy to use is a good move. You want smooth operation when cutting trees. Things to look out for in this department include:
- A lightweight chainsaw. You don’t want a saw that causes fatigue just from the weight.
- A well balanced chainsaw. You want a safe and professional cut at all times.
- The handle placement and shape should fit your hands.
Durability and Maintenance
In the case of buying best professional chainsaws, money goes a long way. To get a long-lasting and robust power tool, you need to invest the money. Made with heavy-duty chromium steel chains and equipped with a ton of safety features will most likely equal a higher price point.
Consider what it takes to maintain your chainsaw. Since they are made to tackle great tasks, the best chainsaws on the market should outlast the rest. Without maintenance, the effort exuded on the daily will wear out the chains. A lot of models come with automatic lubrication which will no doubt lengthen the lifespan of the chain, and with it the chainsaw itself.
Some professional chainsaw models can be disassembled and reassembled easily when parts need to be switched out and replaced.
Those are the basics, but some professional chainsaws out there will feature a variety of other capabilities, some of which include:
- Automatic lubrication (as mentioned above).
- Oil view window. One of the models above had a feature to help you monitor oil levels.
- Chain brakes. This is a vital safety feature not all models have.
- Noise dampeners/mufflers. A chainsaw can be very loud, and these handy components can lower the sound.
- Comes with anti vibration and anti-kick back features. These are also important safety qualities in models used by professionals
- A bar cover or carrying case. These can be purchased separately but it’s a steal if the chainsaw comes with it.
This is something that comes first. As with buying many electronic products/machinery, we stress the importance of a product warranty/guarantee. This is solely to put protection on your rights. As you may have seen if you have done your research, there are a lot of faulty and damaged products that are eligible for a return. Without this protection, you just have to count your losses and suck it up if it were to happen to you. Make sure you fully understand what the manufacturer covers in the warranty. Some companies even offer an X number of days guarantee in case you use the product and it doesn’t meet expectations.
What is the Best Brand of Chainsaw?
If we are talking about brands alone, then we have quite a comprehensive buying list for you. Here we have the top 5 most trusted chainsaw manufacturers.
When buying Stihl chainsaws, it’s better to do it through their website. They have almost a century’s worth of experience in chainsaw manufacturing under their belt.
It’s difficult if not impossible to come across a “best chainsaw list” without seeing this brand pop up. Sometimes even more than once!
While this brand doesn’t specialize in chainsaws, they have made their mark producing a ton of other quality electronics and household appliances.
This brand makes table saws, they make chainsaws, their products are guaranteed quality and used by professionals.
Remington is another well-respected brand and quite well-known power tool company.
Known as one of the best producers of industrial and light-duty chainsaws, Poulan Pro is also a veteran in the business.
We hope we helped you get a clearer picture of the right chainsaw for you. Buying one is not a complicated and long process as you would think. Determine the right size depending on the task it’s set to do, be prepared to do regular maintenance to keep it working, make sure you can handle the weight of the chainsaw for an extended period of time. Perhaps the one quality that far exceeds the rest would be safety. Wear the proper safety equipment and take necessary safety precautions every single time.
Latest posts by Robert (see all)
- Small Woodworking Projects for Quick and Basic DIYs in 2020 - February 9, 2020
- Woodworking Projects that Sell in 2020 - February 9, 2020
- The 5 Best Woodworking Books For Everyone This 2020 - January 22, 2020