If you need a small job done or need something lightweight and portable, the Skilsaw SPT77WML-01 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Worm Drive Circular Saw might be of interest to you. The saw itself is only 7 and a quarter inches in total length but it can cut seamlessly over a long period of wood and cut up to any density as well. This saw was made for depth-cuts and has functioning inside to help with deeper cuts as well. It’s great for the smaller pieces as well and while this saw may seem a little pricey for a hand-saw, let’s look at some of the features.
As far as the practical design goes, this looks like every other hand saw out there on the market. It has a handle to help you guide the saw, a trigger button which is located where the index finger goes and it has a top handle to help you make sure your cut stays on the track you want it on. There are some practical pieces such as the bottom guard which will help deflect sawdust and make sure that no small pieces come out during the job. It’s great for people who are fatigued easily while operating handheld power tools.
- One of the interesting things we’d like to point out is how quick these things fly off the shelves so this is something you need to be on top of and if you’d like to get your hands on one of these saws, you need to order fast because we don’t know when they’ll re-stock their supply after they run out again
- This worm drive circular saw and model features a lot of the same features that the previous model had that made it great but of course, this model has received some improvements over the last model which are mostly targeted towards durability, power and longevity to make sure this saw lasts as long as humanly possible
- If you have any doubts about cutting small pieces and having wood go flying or getting hurt from that, then don’t worry because there’s a lower anti-snag guard that’s there for that exact purpose and in general, cuts are generally pretty clean when made with this saw
- The bevel of this saw allows for a wide array of different cuts at different angles too at a functional 53 degrees for multi-functional cuts and it’s wider than a lot of circular saws that we see today that don’t offer anywhere near that level of bevel
Pros & Cons
- The construction of the Skilsaw SPT77WML-01 is made out of a very lightweight magnesium material which is unheard of to us, so you don’t have to worry about user fatigue if this is something you plan on using a lot because you’ll be able to use this thing for hundreds of cuts without tiring out
- The Cut-Ready depth precision system included by Skilsaw is great for making accurate and precise cuts on the fly with no mistakes and minimal errors, we’ve never noticed any scratches or splitting of the wood
- There’s a lower anti-snag guard included with this saw that helps protect against things like flying debris, dust getting all over you and small pieces of wood breaking off when you’re in the middle of a cut (See manual)
- There’s a 53-degree bevel that allows you the user to complete just about any kind of cut you could think of at any different angle, so you never have to do any kind of weird adjusting or second guess how to achieve that perfect wide angled cut
- The motor is constructed well enough to provide 15 amps of power and is one of the quietest motors we’ve ever heard, so you won’t risk-minimizing your hearing or getting hearing loss from this saw
- The saw comes a little low on lubricant and if you’re cutting thick wood, you’ll want to get some cheap lubricant
Q: What’s the weight of this saw in total?
A: If you’re concerned about the weight then rest assured that this saw only weighs in at 11 and a half pounds. It’s one of the lightest circular saws we’ve ever seen and to have this much power in something so lightweight is quite amazing to us honestly. The overall dimensions of the product are only 20 inches by 7.8 inches by 8.8 inches, so it’s a pretty small circular saw in total.
Q: Is this product made in China?
A: While this does deter some people, it shouldn’t. Yes, this saw is made in China but it’s made with the most utmost quality and a lot of people have great things to say about this saw.
Q: What’s the kickback from this saw-like?
A: While this saw does have quite a bit of torque, the saw shouldn’t give you any kind of kickback. Even when you’re making a deep cut on a thick piece of wood, you should never experience any kind of kickback and if you do, you’re doing something or cutting something you’re not supposed to be cutting.
SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 Review Conclusion
This lightweight saw is one for the shelves and a great addition to your workshop. If you have small projects that require a little saw with power, we can recommend this saw in your collection. We love the trigger and handle of this saw as it’s almost shaped like a gun and it’s super easy to operate. We liked that the trigger didn’t jerk when we pulled it and there’s not a lot of vibrations to this saw either.
Could the bottom guard be a little bit better? Sure, but it’s not 100% perfect and it does its job like its supposed to, so we have no major complaints there. Skilsaw isn’t one of the most well-known competitors in the scene so they have a lot of catching up to do but they shouldn’t be ignored because they are making a little bit of a name for themselves.
- Ryan Shed Plans Review - September 13, 2020
- What Is The Best WoodWorking & Wood Building Kit For Kids & Youth - September 8, 2020
- Woodcraft Review - July 5, 2020