When a table saw just isn’t getting the job done or you need a delicately intricate cut at an angle, the DeWalt DWS779 12” compound miter saw might be the best tool for the job. DeWalt doesn’t really make a lot of different compound miter saws which is why this was such an interesting product for us to review. First, there’s the reviews left by real customers which are raving and give an outstanding 5/5 stars. Being intrigued, we wanted to see what all the fuss was about and let us tell you, this thing packs some power in it.
The design of this miter saw was clearly made so that you could do complicated cuts. DeWalt thinks the design of this saw is so good that they’ve even backed it with a 3-year warranty. Most of the dust that’s generated from cutting is collected for easy removal and while there’s not as much DeWalt yellow on this saw that’s usually on other products, there’s a lot of tools and functions on this one. You can make cuts from practically any angle and they’ll come out smooth. The rotating base makes it easy to find a cut and lock it in.
- The amp motor in this miter saw delivers a stunning 3,800 rpm performance which allows you to cut through any kind of wood and lets you do it like a professional without causing too much of a mess and the motor allows the saw to give you extended power as well
- The back fencing can assist you in making complicated cuts with hard to handle wood such as 2x16 lumber and it can do these cuts at a nice 90 degrees and if you’d like to cut some 2x12 wood, then you cut it at 45 degrees without any issues, problems or high risk for injuries
- The dust collection system included is extremely proficient at what it does and very convenient, you won’t have to worry about dust being collected inside the machine or all over the floor because it catches almost all the dust that’s produced from cutting
- If you have any concerns or don’t know if this product is right for you, then you’ll be pleasantly surprised to know that this product is backed by a 3-year warranty which is limited but covers just about any kind of concern or problem you may have with the product
- This DeWalt product comes with enhanced precision and enhanced capacity as well, you’ll have the capability to make any kind of cut, at any angle without putting in too much effort or changing a lot of different settings to make it do so
Pros & Cons
- The DeWalt DWS779 Miter Saw comes with amazing precision and cutting capacity, even if you need to cut lengthy lumber which it can do at a 90-degree angle, which isn’t something we see a lot of in compound miter saws so DeWalt once again showing innovation in this market
- The double bevel slide is one of the best features we’ve ever seen on a compound miter saw, it’s just so impressive that DeWalt continues to impress us with their unique ingenuity in every product they release and I know this sounds like a sales pitch for DeWalt but they just make good products, you can decide for yourself
- Has a properly backed 3-year warranty, so that if anything ever were to go wrong with the saw and you need to replace it for whatever reason, just contact customer support and they’ll set you up
- The dust collection system reduces well over 75% of dust that’s usually generated from normal cuts so you won’t have to spend as much time cleaning up after this saw that you would from other saws
- The durability of the motor is almost double that of other motors in miter saws of the same price, because the motors featured in DeWalt miter saws are very high-quality and they’re built to last for a long time
- If you’re buying the type 2 model, beware that it’s not going to be compatible with a laser or LED lighting system
Q: What’s this about a LED light not being compatible? Is there a LED cut line?
A: No, there’s not because it’s not compatible on this model and if you want one that is compatible, you’ll have to search for other models and read the specifications to see if it’s compatible or not but sadly, this one is not. However, it’s not really necessary as it cuts smooth and doesn’t really need a laser to do so.
Q: If I have 4x4 and 6x6, will this saw cut them just fine?
A: Yes, easily. Hell, you can do 6x6 just as easy too but you do have to turn them over first to make sure that the cut’s going well. So, after your first cut, make sure to turn them over. Other than that, yes, the boards listed in the question are cut just fine.
Q: I want a straight cut on a 2x4, can this saw do that?
A: Absolutely. You do need to make sure that the saw is 90 degrees on the bed though or else, it’s going to have a hard time doing so. 2x4s in general on saws like this don’t handle well and can be a little rough if your saw isn’t set up perfectly, so make sure it’s set up at 90 degrees or we can’t guarantee that a board won’t go flying. The adjustments need to be perfect.
DEWALT DWS779 Review Conclusion
Is the price of this saw too pricey for a purchase? Did DeWalt do it again? We don’t think the price is too pricey for this saw and we do believe that DeWalt has made another unique classic when it comes to saws. The shipping is relatively quick on this product which is strange because some DeWalt products take forever to ship for some reason. This is an overall great saw with a lot of power that cuts any type of board without effort.