When it comes to hardened blades that can quickly cut through wood of any density, Bosch makes some of the best blades on the market. The GCM12SD has some pretty unique features we don’t see on a lot of saw kits. The first thing we noticed was that this had a double bevel glide feature. You can pull the blade easily with the handle to make a smooth cut, instead of guiding the wood through the saw. The motor is very small but is very powerful, so you should expect it to make a little bit of noise.
A lot is going on with this saw. First, there’s not a lot to say about the color scheme or the overall appeal of the saw when it comes to looks. They’ve marked everything that’s a safety feature or a function with red, so you’ll see a lot of red handles everywhere and all of them do something important. The guiding handle wasn’t crafted to the best ability but it still does the job it’s supposed to. It’s a very convenient saw overall and was well designed from our perspective but how about the functional features of the saw?
- This miter saw is completely compact and is great for saving space if you have a lot of space that’s consumed in your work area, then this miter saw will be perfect for you as the overall width of the saw is only 26.5 inches
- Also, this saw is very lightweight and easy to move around when it’s not in use and it has handled attached to the side of the saw to help you move it around when needed as well
- There’s a lot of capacity included with this saw as well in regards to how many different cuts it can make because it features a 14-inch long expanding cutting blade that’s horizontal, it has a 6-and-a-half-inch vertical turning capacity and then it has a 6-and-a-half-inch crown-capacity that’s rested on a 45-degree spring for maximum precision regardless of the angle that you need to cut
- Another great thing about this saw is just how easily adjustable it is and how easy it is to fit to a different cut, depending on what you need whether you need to adjust the angle, whether you need to adjust the depth, the type of cut you’re doing, the bevel or no matter the need, you can adjust this thing on the fly with ease
- The handle is very soft and easy to the touch and it’s great to put your hands on for comfort as well, giving you a more pleasurable cutting experience without roughing your hands up
Pros & Cons
- The design of Bosch GCM12SD Miter Saw is really compact, saving you a lot of space, it’s lightweight so you can pick it up and move it and best of all, the Bosch patented glide system helps this thing get as compact as possible all while giving the saw a lot of performance
- Comes in at 120 volts which really isn’t too much but it’s not low either, so you’ll get optimal performance out of this saw
- The trigger handle is comfortable to use, to the point where some people said they could use it all day and the dust collection chute included makes sure that no dust gets anywhere near your hands when this thing is in use, it does a pretty good job of collecting all the dust
- You shouldn’t need to adjust this saw out of the box as it comes in a gridlocked 90-degree position which is the optimal position for most cuts but it does allow you to easily adjust that angle for when you need to make more complicated cuts that aren’t straight down
- You have complete control over this saw and the precision that you’re cutting with because every single setting can be quickly changed at the touch of a button
- The fencing of the saw can become disconnected near the middle after use so you may want to watch out for that as some users have reported
Q: This saw seems similar to the Bosch 5312. Any reason I should buy this one over that one?
A: First of all, this particular saw is great with heavy use and heavy wood, whereas 5312 is not and only works well with smaller projects and wood. Another reason is that the 5312 tends to end up kind of dusty and always gets dust within the bearings and everywhere else, so it’s kind of hard to clean which isn’t to my liking. I like building and cutting, not cleaning up the dust. You can look up reviews for both products and find out why the GCM12SD is far superior in every way and why it’s rated better.
Q: Where is this product made?
A: While most of these saws are usually made somewhere in China, this particular model I believe is made in Malaysia as that’s where some people report getting theirs from. It’s not made in the US but it’s still made with pristine quality and is an excellent saw.
Bosch GCM12SD Review Conclusion
One thing you need to know about Bosch is, they’re in the business of making expensive products and some of those products are expensive for a reason. This one may not be the exception. Hundreds of personalized reviews by real customers and it’s one of the top-selling miter saws on Amazon, so how many people could be wrong? It’s a solid saw capable of handling some of the most intense jobs. Whether you need to cut some small projects or you need some heavy weaponry, the Bosch has it all.
The Bosch GCM12SD Miter Saw is compared to a lot of other products and we know this one seems a bit pricey but it’s one of the best miter saws out on the market today (listed here). You won’t be disappointed, much like no one else is who owns this saw.